The face of the modern-day home and commercial security system is constantly evolving and it is no surprise with all the technology we have at our fingertips. Momo Locksmith gets calls every day for people who are trying to make the decision to replace their standard locks with digital systems. Both mechanical and electronic locks have their advantages and disadvantages so it all boils down to what it is you are looking for in your locking system. While we can’t make the decision for you, Momo Locksmith does want you to have all the information so you can make an educated decision.
Standard Mechanical Locks
Mechanical locks are the ones that we have all been using for our entire lives. They don’t require batteries or electricity, just a simple key to operate them. These locks are sturdy, simple, and a great solution for your security needs.
The benefits of mechanical locks include:
- Standard mechanical locks are easy for anyone to use and don’t require any sort of training.
- Standard mechanical locks are built to last. They don’t require electricity and can stand up to all types of weather conditions.
The drawbacks of standard mechanical locks include:
- It is easy for someone to duplicate your key without you know and put your security at risk.
- In a high-security situation, mechanical locks can be difficult to use.
- Professional help is required when mechanical locks malfunction.
- Replacing lost or stolen keys can be a pricey endeavor.
- Mechanical locks lack the technology necessary to integrate with modern-day security systems.
As technology has continued to advance in every area of our lives it only makes sense that our security has had to advance technologically in order to keep up. More and more people are choosing electronic or digital locks for their homes and businesses in order to up their security game.
The benefits of electronic locks include:
- Electronic locks allow you to easily add or change your lock combination when necessary.
- Backlit options make it easy to unlock your door in the dark.
- You can limit access for employees or individuals with specific codes.
- Access codes make it possible to monitor who is coming and going even when you aren’t there.
- Most models can be integrated with your new or existing digital security system.
The drawbacks of digital locks include:
- Electronic and digital locks require batteries or electricity to operate properly and could be affected in the instance of power loss.
- Employees may require training to learn how to operate electronic locks.
- If you choose a battery-operated model you need to remember to change the battery on a regular basis.
At Momo Locksmith, your security is our top priority. When you are choosing a lock for your home or office, we are here to walk you through all of your options so you get the lock that will best protect you. Call us today for a consultation.