Purchasing a home is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make, so it’s no surprise that you want to make sure your home stays secure. As a new homeowner, you may be considering whether or not to have your locks changed. Some home sellers make spare copies of their keys and give them to family members or friends which can be a cause for concern. If you’re on the fence about whether or not to have the locks changed on your new home, take a look at some of the pros and cons.
Pros of Changing the Locks
On the positive side, there are many reasons why you should change the locks after you buy a house. These reasons include:
- Added security: with new locks, you and your family will feel safe knowing that no stranger has easy access to your place.
- It’s quick and easy: It’s very simple and easy to have your locks changed by a professional company. Even if you have several locks throughout your home, the process to have them all changed can be performed in a very short period of time, and you’re on your way to feeling safer.
- It’s inexpensive: The process to change the locks is affordable, and it’s an inexpensive way to get peace of mind.
- You’ll have all-new hardware: From the door handle to the keys, all hardware will be brand new. This also gives you a chance to change the look or style of your locks if you prefer.
Cons of Changing Your Locks
While it might seem like a no-brainer to have your locks changed after you buy a home, there are a few downsides. Some of the cons include:
- Time: You might need to take some time off work to meet the locksmith at your house, which can be an inconvenience if you’re already busy with the move-in process.
- Replacing keys: Since you’re getting all-new locks, you’ll need to be cautious about the new keys and give them to your immediate family members. If you forget to notify people of the change, they may try to get into your home using the old key and lock combo, which could create a bit of frustration and confusion.
Overall, it just makes good sense to change the locks if you’ve recently purchased a new home. Not only will you gain peace of mind, your home will also be more secure and there will be less worry about someone gaining access to your new space when you are no there. If you’ve recently purchased a home in the New York City and Westchester area, call the experts at Momo Locksmith at 914-219-2353. Our trained locksmiths will be happy to help you with all of your needs including rekeying the home, replacing hardware, and more. Give us a call today so we can help you with all your security needs.