Going on vacation can be a fun, rewarding time. Whether you choose to take a trip to a distant land or just travel to a nearby beach, getting away from the hustle and bustle of daily life often provides much-needed rejuvenation.
Preparing for vacation means more than just saving money, booking a rental property and sourcing the best local restaurants from friends – it also means making plans to protect your home while you are away.
As you make plans to hit the road, consider these tips to protect your property from the inside out.
On the Outside
- Ask a neighbor or friend to keep an eye on your home. If possible, ask that person to walk through your home a few times, take the trash out, mow the lawn or shovel the driveway.
- Invite someone to park in your driveway. Burglars are less likely to disturb your property if a car is visible.
- Stop the mail. You can request a vacation hold for USPS, UPS or FedEx so that packages and gifts are not tempting to passersby and would-be thieves.
- Move the spare key. If you typically have a spare key somewhere outside your home, consider giving it to a neighbor or friend instead while you are away.
- Lock the garage door. This extra step of precaution makes it more difficult for intruders to get into your home.
A Look Inside
- Purchase a light switch timer that turns your lights on and off automatically. Leaving some lights on throughout the house for several days can look suspicious.
- Pull the plug on electronics and appliances to prevent power surges. Doing so preserves power and can help save on the electric bill as well.
- Stash valuables in a safe. Store any important documents or personal items in a fireproof safe that is securely out of sight.
- Limit social media sharing. Be careful about announcing you are on vacation and ‘checking in’ on social media apps because would-be burglars may choose to target your home.
- Check your vehicle’s GPS settings. When your car is left at the airport, for example, a thief can break into the vehicle and find their way to your home based on the GPS settings.
Momo Locksmith is a family-owned business that prides itself on honesty and integrity. See how our well-trained team deliver efficient work at a reasonable price so that you be safe and feel protected whether you are at home or abroad.